Pages

11 December 2016

Zulus, "thousands of 'em" finished at last

Finallly finished, all in all, just over 150 figures.



As mentioned in the previous post, most of the shields were homemade due to the fact that nearly all the original Esci shields had been lost over the years.



The spears were also missing and were replaced with spears made from stiff plastic broom bristles.


To make up the numbers, a handful of  Esci Barbarians managed to slip in as Zulu"impostors".


Even Tarzan from the old Airfix set was press-ganged into to group as an old robust grey-haired warrior with his Airfix drum playing entourage, guards and lovely female companion.



Now it's a case of getting them on the table....., which means painting up someone to fight against, and who else but old Esci British Rorke's Drift infantry. 


The partially completed figures above are waiting patiently in the painting queue, but since finishing the Zulus I've moved onto other things so it might be a little while yet, but the plan to do them is still there and the story will definitely continue.

09 October 2016

Speedpainting Zulus - some progress on the horde of figures


This is definitely a quantity over quality job, and speed is of the essence, so I'm hoping to finish them all off and be ready for basing sometime at the end of the week.

I'll also give a runthrough here on the technique I'm using to speedpaint the figures. It works (well, at least for me) on painting very dark / black skin tones.
First step is to give a heavy basecoat of tough black-gloss enamel paint. 


This is followed by a very heavy drybrush to bring out detail and highlight the raised surfaces. 



I then prepare a wash using water based artists acrylics. The acrylics will bring out the shadows and highlights on the black skins.



I use Van Gogh which are excellent consistent quality and work really well. I used a mixture of Raw Umber and Burnt Sienna.


Mix the two until you get a thick but creamy consistency ... and yes, it does look like something disgusting that the the dog just dropped.



Finally add a little black to dip into for some slight shading when you paint the wash onto the figures, and the next day when they are dry you should have figures that look something like this.


You can then just paint up the details.


So I'm now about halfway there, most of the figures in progress are in the picture below.


Once I've got them based I'll add a final update on the Zulus and in the near future some pictures of them in action in the upcoming game.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...