Pages

09 October 2016

Speedpainting Zulus - some progress on the horde of figures


This is definitely a quantity over quality job, and speed is of the essence, so I'm hoping to finish them all off and be ready for basing sometime at the end of the week.

I'll also give a runthrough here on the technique I'm using to speedpaint the figures. It works (well, at least for me) on painting very dark / black skin tones.
First step is to give a heavy basecoat of tough black-gloss enamel paint. 


This is followed by a very heavy drybrush to bring out detail and highlight the raised surfaces. 



I then prepare a wash using water based artists acrylics. The acrylics will bring out the shadows and highlights on the black skins.



I use Van Gogh which are excellent consistent quality and work really well. I used a mixture of Raw Umber and Burnt Sienna.


Mix the two until you get a thick but creamy consistency ... and yes, it does look like something disgusting that the the dog just dropped.


Finally add a little black to dip into for some slight shading when you paint the wash onto the figures, and the next day when they are dry you should have figures that look something like this.


You can then just paint up the details.


So I'm now about halfway there, most of the figures in progress are in the picture below.


Once I've got them based I'll add a final update on the Zulus and in the near future some pictures of them in action in the upcoming game.




3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...